I WISH this is what it looked like this year! But no, everything is still snowless. Global warming?! (This picture is from 2010.)

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Sad Ballad Of My Fingernail

Once upon a time...
There was a little girl. A ten year old, to be exact. And she LOVED to be creative.
I bet you can guess who that is.
Me.

One day, I was doing one of those projects that rates REALLY HIGH on the creative scale. At my church, we had been collecting school supplies for children who can't afford them. When we were sorting crayons one day, my friends gave me some broken crayons we didn't want to put in with the new ones. I took them home and peeled the wrappers off, cut the crayons up, melted them, and before long, we had brand new crayons that were ready to be donated!
There were some hard parts to this process, though.
1. Cutting the crayons up was hard work. Luckily, my mom was around for that part.
2. Even harder then cutting up crayons was the difficult process of peeling the paper off. If you peel too hard, crayon will get up your fingernail.
Oh, I remember those long, hard afternoons where merciless crayons jammed crayon into my screaming fingernails. Luckily, a couple of hard scrubs with Dawn dish detergent removed most of the nasty stuff from my fingers. But there was one finger that held on to the crayon bit it got stuck in it's nail. Mom and I tried every method in the book to get the crayon out.
1. Take out the crayon bit with tweezers. Did it work? Nope.
2. Scratch a bar of soap for a million hours. That didn't work, either.
3. Count on good old Dawn dish soap to save the day. I think you probably know this already, but NO! That didn't work either!
So currently, the crayon bit was stuck in my finger forever!

DU-DU-DU-DU............

The next day.......

We did a paint project.
A really, really big paint project.

We were painting an old shower curtain and turning it into an abstract beach painting. I enjoyed splattering colors everywhere to make a crazy ocean. When I was done, the ocean looked wonderful. But my hands looked like they had been caught in a paint spill.
"Oh no!" I wailed. "This paint will never come off."
"Wash your hands with soap and water," my mom said.
So I washed my hands off, and I was so happy when the paint disappeared. Now my hands were blank. No crayons, no paint, no nothing!
Until I looked at that one finger.
That finger Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

at still has that little piece of crayon wedged in it.
Does anybody know a cure for ridding the finger of crayon?

6 comments:

  1. Way to "borrow" Mom's two next posts. (I guess I'll just post pictures!) And, it wasn't tweezers, it was a nail file attachment with the clippers. Do you want to try tweezers? Maybe this is one of those lessons in patience (not from me)....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try nail polish remover. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea than to let it come out as the nail grows.

    HOWEVER....Your artistic ability never ever ever ceases to amaze me!!!!!
    And what a lot of work and a wonderful thing you did to help kids that are less fortunate!!

    Hip Hip Hurray For CJ!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I think I'll try the nail polish remover.
    Dad thinks it will grow out, too.How is it supposed to grow out? Must consult Wikipedia....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What color crayon? LOL! Gigi

    ReplyDelete

Stretch your brain and think of a quirky comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...