I WISH this is what it looked like this year! But no, everything is still snowless. Global warming?! (This picture is from 2010.)

Sunday, November 20, 2011

OCBFD! (The Abbreviation Will Be Explained Later.)

OCBFD=Obsessive Compulsive Book Fair Disorder.

If you know me well, you know I let out little squeals of joy and occasionally start getting wobbly knees walking up and down the aisles at 5 Below or Barnes and Noble. Why?
I love erasers, sticker roles, fake hands, gum, and other trinkets and knick knacks. At 5 Below you can get things like this!:
Yes, those are erasers.<3




And this!:

How true. That's a bumper sticker.

And, of course, THIS!:

Duct tape. An endless source of fun on youth retreats.

Oh, and did I mention you can get all that for 5 bucks or less? Hence the name.
Barnes and Noble (as well as the aisle of Klutz and American Girl books at our local craft store, and any library) gives me the same reaction. Any book lovers out there will automatically feel the urge to stare at the covers, look at the description, and find the next volume in a series.

Mix these two feelings together, and you know how I feel at the school book fair!
Every year is torture for me. Shelf upon shelf of multicolored graphic novels and quiz books and the next book in that series and....more! What to buy?
Then, as if that isn't enough, there's the school supplies section. I nearly break into a happy dance looking at some of the stuff available! Laptop and smartphone erasers! An "Everything is better with bacon" bookmark! Stickers with the most ridiculous slogans:
"I'm olny human. I make misteaks."
"If Number 2 pencils are so popular, why are they Number 2?"
And, of course, the $100 bill  and peppermint-scented erasers that are around every year.
This year at the book fair, I think I've had to exhibit massive amounts of self-control just to go past some of the tables. Most of the books this year have been seen-and wished for- in Scholastic's book magazine (another source of squee-ing* for me). Of course, they price some stuff ridiculously, slapping "$8.99" on one hardcover and "$25.66" on another.
So many novels, so little cash....
Who else has been to a school book fair? What makes you jump up and down with joy? Post a comment about your experiences!

Coming Soon on Claire's Creative Days....Poetry! Doodles! Thinking inside the box! And-forensics? Cool! Wow! Um...!?!


*Squee (verb): An extreme declaration of happiness and joy. ex."CJ squees over tacky erasers and knick-knacks."

1 comment:

Stretch your brain and think of a quirky comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...